8/6/09

Ear Tubes

I took Brilee into see Dr. Caton yesterday for a consult on her ears. She has had five ear infections in her short six months of life, and that is just too many! Dr. Caton took one look at her charts and started talking to me about the procedure. He then looked in her ears, and unfortunately for her they were both infected again. He recommended taking care of the surgery ASAP, but he wouldn't be in Roosevelt for three weeks. Luckily, Ashley Regional's surgery day is Thursday and there were openings. I was worried sick, but everyone kept telling me it was an easy procedure and not to worry. We had to be to the hospital by seven so Jake and I decided to stay at my parents. Brilee couldn't eat anything after midnight, and so we kept her awake late and made her eat her bottle late. This morning Jake, my Mom, Brilee, and I got to the hospital by seven, got all checked in by seven thirty, were brought back into the o.r. waiting room by seven forty-five, were checked into the o.r. by eight, and then waited for the doctor until nine. We weren't the only ones getting tubes... there were four other babies (Bri Bear was the youngest). As we were waiting in the o.r. waiting room Brilee decided she was starving! She started crying, followed by bawling, and concluded with a royal screaming fit. Finally, Dr. Caton came in and explained the procedure to us again and took her away. I was a nervous wreck, but knew she would be fine. About seven minutes later Dr. Caton came back and said everything went great. He took us back to the recovery room where she was starting to cry again (music to my ears!). She started waking up and then really let us have it! The nurses watched her for thirty minutes, said she was fine and sent us home. Brilee was still scared and confused. She cried for about an hour at my parents house. We let Tator and Cali in the house and that switched the switch for her. She started smiling and laughing and was finally herself. Right after that the little neighbor girls came visiting with there little puppy, Buddy. Brilee loved Buddy and played him until she scared him away and he wouldn't come back near her. She took a three hour nap, and now is just normal again. I am so glad we did this, and so happy it is over!
Bri bowling bubbles on the way to the hospital... she had no idea what was coming.
Walking into the hospital.
Waiting for the surgery... before the fit!
After the fit! Still waiting.
Brilee and Buddy

3 comments:

Kami said...

I am so glad that everything went well! :)

James and Jade Bethers said...

It good that it all went well. That is too bad that she has had so many ear infections. Not fun for you or her! Things will be so much better now!

Amy Elaine said...

Oh Kels! I'm so glad it went perfectly! I love that seeing the dogs flipped her right back to her cheerful self. . . hahaa she was sure born into the right family. Here's to no more ear infections! <3