9/26/09

Roadless Elk Hunt

On April 24th Mitch Wilhelm found out he had drawn the Book Cliff Roadless Elk Hunt, and ever since that day he and Jake have been planning for the hunt. That day I began telling Mitch that he needed to make sure he killed his elk on the first day, and I kept telling him that all summer long (last year Jake drew out for this tag and spent 13 days in the roadless area and 13 days without cell service... IT WAS AWFUL!). Jake and Mitch worked most nights after work getting the horses in shape, training the mule to ride and pack, and doing who knows what else. I kept thinking this hunt is actually more of a job than anything. They (Jake, Mitch, Glade, SIX horses, and a Mule) took off for the hunt Monday morning. Sunday night Jake was like a little kid waiting for Christmas. He was anxious, excited, and scared all at the same time. I talked to Jake Monday made sure to tell him to remind Mitch he needed to kill on the first day and then I figured I wouldn't talk to Jake again until Sunday. BUT I WAS WRONG!!! Yesterday afternoon my phone rang and it was JAKE! He said they were on their way home! Mitch had killed an elk on the first day (he listens A LOT better than Jake does) and it had taken them two days to get it out of the roadless area. They got home late last night and were so exhausted and happy. They only had one episode with the horses, which is pretty good with that many horses. I am glad they had fun, and even more glad to have them home! 
Heading down the trail.
The horses at camp.
Camp... I don't think there is ANY way all three of them stayed in that tent!
Jake called this elk within 14 yards of them. It is bugling at them right here.
I couldn't not believe how close they were... and then Jake told me this picture (not the others) was zoomed in. 
 Mitch said Jake kept saying DON'T SHOOT!

Mitch and the elk. 
All their hard work paid off. According to them the hunt was fun until Mitch shot the elk and then they work began! Not an easy task getting an elk, three men, and 7 horses up a six hour trail ride. 

2 comments:

Kami said...

Wow that is one big Elk! Billy is going next weekend! Wish him luck!
Miss ya!

Paul and Carly said...

HOLY COW!!! It's a Biggin' It was really nice talking to you tonight on the phone. I love that about you and me. We can just talk forever. Miss you guys. Tell your Mom and Dad thanks for the basket... I have really been enjoying those cake toppers. I love them.