3/7/12

Swim Lessons

About a month and a half ago I decided I wanted to make sure I go Bri in the spring swim lesson sessions. I checked out the rec. center website and saw sign ups were Feb. 20th. I made a mental note, and on the 20th at about 3:00 I went to register her. Turns out people are all about swim lessons. There are three pre levels. The bottom level is needs complete assistance, middle is some skills independently, and top is all swimming independently. The two bottom levels were full, and so I went for it and put her in the top level. Yesterday I got scared, and called the recreation center to tell them about it. They assured me that most parents don't level their children correctly, and that they would actually do a skills test and put the kids in groups based on that. PHEW!!!! Brilee was super nervous for lessons, and didn't really want to go. Last time we went to swimming Brilee got "yelled" at (not really, but she claims she did) by a life guard for climbing the slide. She agreed to go, but only if Stacia would come. Luckily, Stac got off work in time to come. We got her to the pool, got her showered, and then took her to her class. There were eighteen 3-4 year olds, and four teachers. Not one of those teachers knew how to speak to kids. Stacia and I were laughing so hard. They wanted them to do a float test. They were explaining it, and finally one teacher looked up at the parents and said, "None of them will listen." haha... The kids all finally got their test and were broke into their groups. Brilee's teacher swam her across the pool (she aced the float test and ended up in level 3 after all) so Stac and I hurried over there. She was doing great. She has two teachers, a boy and a girl. They were asking all the kids to tell them their names. One little boy was really hard to understand. The teacher asked three times and then said, "Can you spell that for me." The boy was as confused as the teacher. Then, the little girl next to Brilee started crying. Brilee started pretending to cry with this little girl. It was funny, but I knew would not end up well. As she is pretending the boy life guard (who freaked her out, because she was sure he was the one who yelled at her) came and grabbed her. She did alright swimming with him, and then got water up her nose. She started crying, and needed a love. She shook it off after a minute. She was freezing, and ready to be finished by this point. She kept putting on a really cheesy smile and looking up at Stacia and me saying, "I'm done!!" haha poor girl. We made her stick it out, but I think tomorrows lesson will be smoother because we made her stay. Tomorrow Jake and I are both going, but we are going to sit in the back to give support, but not an escape.
The madness of getting the kids broke into groups.
Floating
Brilee's group

2 comments:

Kami said...

I should put my oldest in swim lessons. I have no idea how to teach him how to swim.

Jen said...

It'll get better. Just give it a few lessons. :) Good job having her take swimming lessons! The earlier the better, and it's sooooo much safer when little ones know how to swim!