5/1/12

Bronson Jake Birchell

Bronson Jake Birchell
4/26/12
8:09 PM
9 Pounds 1 Ounce 
20 Inches

Jake and I got to the hospital around 10, and were all checked in and anxious to see what would happen next. I got hooked up to all the monitors, and my first few readings were high. They were really sporadic though. I would get one that was like 167/107 and the next would be 150/95. We couldn't figure it out. Jake and I just hung out and tried to pass time. Dr. Nolte was in OB but he was preparing for a surgery, and the nurse said as soon as that was over he had to head to Vernal for his clinic over there. I really didn't like the sound of that. Finally around 1230 he came in to talk to us. He told me how surprised he was that he didn't have to keep me Monday, and that he believed it was time. He said he actually came to the OR to see how Jake's surgery went and to check on me Tuesday morning. He didn't know the surgery was in Vernal though. Dr. Nolte canceled his Vernal clinic for me and said, "I don't need to be in Vernal with my blood pressure getting high worrying about you." And I really didn't need him in Vernal, so I was relieved! I was his only patient for the day. Jake and I felt good about being started, and we began passing the news on. Nolte decided that he wanted me on magnesium (HORRID medicine), and pitocin which made me want to cry. But it's better than a 5 day labor, stroke, or a seizure. So my IV was placed at 1300, pit and mag started right after, and water broke at 1330. I was only dilated to a three, and things were moving slow it felt. Right after my water was broke they noticed Bronson's heart rate changing with each contraction. So, they put the monitor thing in his head. That was so weird to Jake and I, but it was nice cause we knew we were getting his heart for sure. Things sounded fine too. Finally, at around 4 I was dilated to a 4. I wanted to get to a five before the epidural, but the pain was getting bad. So, I ordered it. The anesthesiologist came around 5 and got me hooked up! I felt great for about an hour and a half. Then it started wearing off, and the nurse checked me and I was at an eight. YEA! The pain got really intense, and Bronson's heart rate kept dropping with every contraction. It was scary. His heart was beating right at 140 bpm but during contractions it would drop to the low 100's. He was really high still and so Andre said to roll all the way onto my side and it would help him drop. It must have, cause at 7:55 Nolte came in and things started moving fast. Bronson's heart was fine by then, the rolling made him get off his cord. With Brilee I just had the nurses helping me push, but Nolte came right in before it was even time. He asked Jake and I how big we thought he would be, and we both guessed around 8lbs. Nolte thought 7lbs.  I pushed about ten minutes, and he was born! It was so amazing. He came out crying, and alert. I got to hold him right away, and Jake got to cut the cord. It was so different from Bear. She came out Blue and they had to really push her to get her going. The nurse took him to the warmer and right when they got there I heard Jake say, "He's already going pink." He was screaming, and the sound couldn't have been a better feeling! Our Mom's came in and started taking pictures. They took Bronson to the nursery, and my nurse came back and said, "I will wait for Dad to tell you how big." Well, like I can wait for anything so I pried it out of her. Whoa! No wonder my body has hurt so bad. Pretty soon Bronson was back in the room with us, and he was ready to eat. Brilee was sooooo amazed and happy. She could not have been sweeter. She is still very upset with Andre for giving her baby shots. She is the world's best sister! Everyone visited for a minute and then took off. At about 11 I told Jake to go get some rest (remember the bad arm, poor guy was white as a ghost the pain was so bad), and the nurse took Bronson so I could get some rest. By now the mag. was really getting to me, and there was no way I could sleep. So I laid there with my eyes closed, but didn't sleep a wink. Finally, around 4 I hear a screaming baby coming up the hall and it was Bronson! He cried all night, but I didn't care cause he was with me. His first night of life he cried more than Bear did her first 4 months. Because he is so big for his gestational age they had to test his blood sugar every couple hours the first 24 hours. He hated this, and I did too. Things always looked good for him. Friday morning my parents showed up, and then Jake did. Jake and I spent most of Friday snuggling our cute baby. I got the mag. out at 9 that morning, and waited until 12 to shower thinking I could do it without passing out this time. I felt great and things were going good. I got in the shower, and knew I wasn't going to make it. I hollered at Jake and then blacked out. It was bad, and I totally freaked him out. Somehow I got back into bad, and the nurse said to stay down a couple more hours. I did, and after that I was fine! Friday afternoon we had lots of visitors, and Brilee got to come spend a lot of time with us. She wanted us to come home so bad! Then she and Stac headed to Vernal and Jake and I settled down for the night. He decided he wanted to stay with me, and I was glad. At midnight the nurse came to give Bronson his hearing test, and he was gone forever. I wanted a little walk so I went to check on him. The nurse told me he passed his right hearing, but failed his left. She said he was crying and so it was more like he couldn't test. He came back to the room with us and cried and cried. The nurse came and got him at 2 and said we needed to sleep. As soon as he left I was out, and didn't wake up until 6 the next morning when the nurse was there to check my bp. It was crazy!!! We started getting ready to get discharged. Bronson's doctor came and said he looked great and he was free to go. I was cleared, and we were out of there! Brilee was running down our lane she was so excited to have us home. She has been great. Bronson spent the weekend being loved by everyone, and making sure mom doesn't sleep at all! Sunday morning he passed his hearing test, but the jaundice was high. We kept him in the sun and fed him lots! Monday he had his circumcision done and his jaundice was still high but Dr. Staker said he was fine. Today Jake went back to work, Bri went to Grammy's, and Bronster Monster and I slept A LOT (him mostly... long night ahead I am sure!) Thanks to everyone for the calls, love, and support. We could not do it without you! Especially Grammy! Where would we be without you? Love you so much, and thank you to the moon! 








 Favorite picture of all time!











3 comments:

Chelsie Jensen said...

What a trooper you are! I am so sorry you had to have mag and the pit. But I'm so glad that he is here so that you BP can go down. I am also so sorry about Jake's arm and Brilee's tick. Hopefully life will calm down for a bit so you can enjoy your new bundle of joy :)

The Nybergs said...

Awwww.....I got all teary on the post below when you said you just held Brilee for your last morning as a duo! Bronson is so sweet! I love him and your cute little family! So glad everything is back to normal (except the forearm). Yay baby B!

BreAnna said...

He is adorable! Congrats. I can't wait to meet him!