8/11/11

Love my Roots

Vernal is a great place. I am so happy and lucky to be able to call it home. Our community really comes together when one of our own needs help. I have seen it time and time again, and today confirmed my love for the people of the Uintah Basin. 

We lost a young man who was serving our country as a Marine last Friday. I did not know him, but from what I hear that was unfortunate on my part. He always wanted to be a marine, and he made his dream come true. He is such an example to the young and old of our town.  All week the community has been planning a way to make his homecoming special. We all wanted to honor a young man who so bravely put us first. We wanted to be able to support his family and show them how much we care. Facebook posts about "Bringing Daniel Home" started pouring in on Saturday. Everyone from Duchesene to Vernal was determined to make this a memorable day for the family of the man who will be in our memory forever.



First thing this morning I drove the route they would be using to take Sgt. Daniel Gurr "home" on. I had tears in my eyes the whole time. There were so many people out cleaning up their yards, hanging their flags, and preparing to honor a true hero. When I got to the home of Sgt. Gurr the tears flew freely. There were so many beautiful flags blowing in the wind all over his family home. We care about one another here. Today Jake and I gathered with the rest of Vernal on Main Street. Our street is beautiful and to have the whole community on it was breath taking. We visited quietly with one another until we could see vehicles coming down the street. It took two seconds and the whole street was silent. Everyone standing, holding their flags, and paying respect to our fallen HOMETOWN HERO. Soon quiet sobs filled the air as we watched the family, friends, officers, other military hero's, and casket drive by. There was not a dry eye in a mile radius. 

I love Vernal, and the community that beholds it. RIP Sgt. Daniel Gurr, and God Bless America!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for this post, Kels. It was beautiful. You totally made me cry. I wish I could have been there, so thanks for sharing it with me.

Kelly W. said...

Love, love, love Vernal and love it some more!

Paul and Carly said...

I love Vernal also, it will always be my town! Thanks for your post Kelsey! It made me homesick, but in a good way!