6/27/10

Dino Triathlon

AH... it's over! I started thinking about doing the Dino Tri. in December, was decided in January, and began stressing over the training in March. I am so glad I made the decision to do it, and so proud of all the hard work that went into it. Our weekend started with Del and Jackie getting to Vernal around lunch time Friday. After our greetings we took our bikes into the bike shop to get them tuned up, and to buy our energy candy (DISGUSTING!). KP did a nice job on our bikes and made them as good as new! We then went and organized our transitions. After I got off of work we went to pick up our packets. I got real intimidated picking up the packet. There were some very athletic looking people in the room! We got all our stuff and got our body markings on and we were off! I picked Stac up and we went to cheer on Elly and Annalee in the kids triathlon. They both did AWESOME! We were so proud of them. I couldn't believe how fast they could swim, run, and bike. We had a blast cheering for them. After the kids tri we headed to our carb loading dinner. Del made a delicious spaghetti and lots of yummy salads. After dinner we headed to Red Fleet to drop our bikes off and set up transition one. By this point I was sick. I laid everything out and kept running my transition through my mind praying I didn't forget anything. We got the information on the swim (they made the swim the exact opposite of what we had all practiced), drove the bike course then went home to go to bed. After a restless nights sleep the morning was upon us. I could not believe it was actually happening. While we were waiting outside for Del to find his keys the first shuttle drove by us. This really freaked me out for some reason. We got to the high school set up transition two and hopped on the bus. When we got to Red Fleet we were given our timing chips, and told to prepare for the race. I kept finding new ways to lay out my transition gear, but finally just gave up and left it alone. After what felt like FOREVER they told everyone to head to the boat dock. I met up with Emily and we were both questioning our triathlon idea. They told the olympic people to get in the water and the whistle was blown. It was cool watching them start. I started to relax when two of the olympic people couldn't even swim twenty-five yards. They told the men sprinters to get in the water and their whistle was blown. Finally, I jumped in the water waiting for the go word. We had to tread water for at least two minutes before we were started. I took off and felt great! It was actually fun to swim in the lake. I got out of the water and started running up the boat ramp. I made a fast transition and took off. The climb out of Red Fleet is brutal. As soon as I made it through that I knew I would be fine. I turned onto H 191 and started looking for my cheering section. As I came up the last big hill they were at the top of it! It was so fun seeing them there. I loved it! Somewhere in the half mile out of the park, and where they were Del passed me on his bike. Neither of us recognized each other, weird! I was happy with my bike time, but relieved to be able to get off the bike at the high school. I ran into the transition area and couldn't find my stuff. Just as I was about to tell someone that my things had been stolen I decided to walk up the other side of the transition area. Sure enough, my things were there. I threw my shoes on and took off. My legs were heavy. I was running, but not fast! I decided my goal for the run would be to never stop to walk. I made it, barely! I was excited to see Jake, Brilee, Stacia, and Michael at the high school. They encouraged me to keep going. I then got to see my Mom and Jackie at Maeser Elementary. Right after I ran by they had to rescue a 61 year old lady who pulled her calf muscle in the race. As soon as I turned around and started running the down hill stretch I felt great! I came into the high school and the announcer started saying I was the first Roosevelt contestant to finish. I finished and was so happy to have it over... Thank you so much for all the support I have gotten from everyone.
Del rocked the Dino Tri and took third overall!
Right after I finished I took Brilee on this blow up slide. This was the hardest thing I had ever done. I would have had an easier time doing the race again. I got stuck in the stupid thing, couldn't lift Brilee up the ladder, and got ran over by a ton of little kids. It wasn't fun for me...
Or for Bri Bear.

Jackie came all the way from California to watch us race. Thank you so much! It was so nice to have you here!
Love my little fam bam!

Right after I finished the race...

Crossing the line... I am so glad I got to this point.

It was so fun having my Dad and brother do this with me!

Wahoo! 
Brilee had to have a shaved ice after our adventure in the blow up toy.

Us and our awkward hand gestures for pictures.
Mark on the home stretch of his bike ride. Julie Barr in the background cheering for him. We had the COOLEST, LOUDEST, and most SUPPORTIVE cheering section there!
Del in Dry Fork Canyon.
My Dad finishing his bike ride.
Mark cruising towards Steinaker.
My Dad getting to the top of the painful hill!

Me climbing the last BIG hill!
Del right after he passed me.

3 comments:

BreAnna said...

Wow! That was a long race

James and Jade Bethers said...

Way to go!!!! You have way more ambition than I do!! Congrats!

Kami said...

Wow. That sounds like a long race. You did awesome! Good Job! You are one tough chick-a-dee! :) As I read your post I just kept thinking I'd never be able to do that. Way to go girl.